Vest: MLM (via Emporia Subiaco)
Top: Nicholas (old)
Accessories: Bag (Mulberry), Necklace (Tatty Divine), Boots (Acne), Sunglasses (Zara – old)
How beautiful are the tulips at Araluen? The tulips are in full bloom and they are so beautiful. I’m wearing my trusty favourite skirt (seen here, here and here) which I got years ago from a vintage shop. It goes to show that fashion doesn’t always have to be ‘fast'; to be consumed, regrammed, retweeted and then to never been worn again. I really love this skirt and doubt I’ll ever part with it.
It’s hard to not fall victim to purchasing new things to cheer us up or to keep up with trends. I admit I do this more than I should, but I’ve been trying to get smarter with my purchasing and believe that you can hold on to items which you will wear again and again without it always being expensive – just timeless and practical.
Here are some of the questions I’ve been asking myself recently (especially if something pricey, e.g. over $200):
– Can I wear it with existing clothes in my wardrobe? (i.e. Can I create at least 3 different looks with this new item?)
– Am I just buying it because it’s the latest thing coming through on my Instagram feed? (i.e. Is it on my ‘Wishlist?)
– Do I have something similar in my wardrobe already?
– Is it worth the time & money if it requires dry cleaning, hand washing or constant ironing?
– Will I have an occasion to wear it? (e.g. I doubt I’ll have reason to buy a ball gown any time soon)
– Will I still be wearing it next year?
– Can I get a similar item for cheaper? Most of the time I don’t want to sacrifice quality or unique design but if it’s not an original item anyway and a cheaper alternative is just as good quality and fit, I’ll go for cheaper.
I first saw this MLM leather vest a few months ago and I waited thinking I was going to the UK/Europe during summer so wouldn’t need it immediately. And luckily it went on sale at a different place (in fact all the items above except for my necklace and skirt were bought on sale) and it got even further reduced so I bought it! So far it’s been the perfect transitional weather gear for Spring.
What questions do you ask yourself before buying clothes and accessories?